Wednesday 18 September 2013

Windfall and Hedgerow Pudding...

The wind has been quite strong over the past couple of days and our fruit trees are suffering both windfall and wasp attack.

With that in mind we gathered up any of the fallen fruit worth keeping.

This basket full of conference pears were ready to fall given half the chance..

whilst this later variety (Comice?) are still firmly stuck!

We cooked the windfalls, together with some hedgerow blackberries...

And with the addition of either a slice of fatless chocolate sponge and a spoonful of fat free fromage frais...
 or a meringue...

they make a healthy pudding.
(eggs for the baking courtesy of our hens, of course!)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooh, your meringues have given me ideas! I've been happily baking pies for the last couple of weeks, but it's definitely time for a change!

The Broad said...

What gorgeous fruit you have, my dear! It all looks good enough to, well, 'eat'!

Colin and Elizabeth said...

Lady Justine, I get into a rut making the same things over and over again. Then a chance inspiration fires me up to make something different and oh how we enjoy the change!

The Broad, We both love fruit, which is just as well really! Unfortunately so do the many creatures which live round and about, so it's always a race to beat them to it!

Jean said...

They both look yummy.
~Did you make the chocolate sponge?

Colin and Elizabeth said...

Jean, Yes I made the chocolate sponge. I adapted it from a BBC Good Food recipe called "My Mothers Fatless Sponge: (http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/7229/my-mothers-fatless-sponge

Instead of adding 56g plain flour, I used 30g gluten free SR flour and made up the 56g with cocoa. I also added a generous spoonful of vanilla extract. It was guesswork but actually it is delicious!

Jean said...

Well done!
You should add your version of the recipe to the BBC website as a gluten free version, along with the photo!