Sunday 27 March 2011

Cast not a clout till May is out!

Cast not a clout till May is out a good Lancastrian saying or is it a Yorkshire saying. Not really sure as my mother is Lancastrian and my late father was a true Yorkshireman. Both used to say it to me on a regular basis when I was no-but a lad.

A French proverb - 'En avril, ne te découvre pas d'un fil; en mai, fais ce qui te plaît'. This translates as 'In April, do not shed a single thread; in May, do as you please', which has much the same meaning as 'ne'er cast a clout...'.

Not really true in France at the moment. Cast not a clout till March is out is not true this year either though as the pictures show. It must be warm, Elizabeth usually has three layers on.

And as for me. Only time I can remember wearing shorts this time of year is in the Canaries.


At least it is making things grow!

2 comments:

Jean said...

We have the same saying in Derbyshire. It means "it might be sunny now but keep your vest handy, just in case" !!

Colin and Elizabeth said...

Mine's always handy, Jean!!